The Comm and Gender Spot

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Save My Shows

Next week are the upfronts. This is when the television networks reveal their fall schedules to the public. Advertisers are given their first opportunity to check out the new series and decide which ones they’d like to purchase ad time during. Last year I detailed the upfronts for each broadcast network, and this year I plan to do it again.

As I write this, however, network executives are making decisions about which new programs to order episodes of and which current programs they will keep around for another season.

The fates of many series have already been determined. Some of my favorites have already been picked up for another season. Shows such as Lost, Desperate Housewives, 30 Rock, Heroes, and 24 will all be seen during the 2007-2008 television season. Other series that debuted last season, such as Kidnapped, Smith, and The Nine have already been cancelled.

What I’d like to do now is make a plea for a few of the series that the networks are thinking about right now. These are series that I have not heard about their officially being picked up yet for next season. However, I’d like the networks to reconsider and bring these enjoyable programs back. My guess is that at least one of them will be back, but definitely not all of them.

Jericho is number one on my list of programs that I’m championing for next season. Jericho is smartly written and well acted. The program follows the residents of Jericho, Kansas as they deal with the aftermath of a nuclear invasion of the United States. There is nothing like it on TV right now, and hopefully it’ll remain on the air to entertain viewers next.

Scrubs has been on NBC now for six seasons. It is one of only two sitcoms currently airing that I find myself watching and consistently laughing at each and every week (30 Rock is the other). The producers would like one more season. Star Zach Braff has signed one for a seventh season. There is a glimmer of hope, though. If NBC does not renew it there is a very good chance that ABC will pick up the final season.

I’m a sucker for game shows. I’ve been a fan of so many over the years. From The Price is Right and Family Feud to Hot Potato and Tic Tac Dough, I love watching people playing for cash and prizes. The game show has been a genre that has been waning in popularity over the years. This year NBC recognized how inexpensive such programs are to produce, and decided to place a few on the air this season. And I enjoyed them both. 1 vs. 100 and Identity have unique concepts. While they could use some tweaking, I think both deserve a second chance.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is the longest shot on my list. It’s hasn’t received much of an audience the entire season. But it was smart and incredibly well written. As a liberal, even I found some of the stories to be a bit left leaning. But it should be given another chance. NBC stuck with Studio 60 on Mondays at 10pm. Maybe if given another time slot on another night it could generate a larger audience and more viewer interest.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home