The Comm and Gender Spot

Thursday, October 09, 2008

DirectTV - A Little Creepy?

I have actually enjoyed the recent advertising campaign put out by DirectTV. Actors from some of the best known recent films are seen as if they are actually in the film but then begin to talk to the screen about how they should have subscribed to DirectTV. I've liked this campaign and thought that it was an interesting concept.

That is until I saw the most recent advertisement.

The most recent one features actor Craig T. Nelson who played the father in the first two Poltergeist films. These are films that I enjoy and find myself watching anytime they are on TV or my TiVo records them. But this advertisement also features child actor Heather O'Rourke who died back in 1988. While DirectTV isn't the first company to featuring a dead celebrity in an advertising campaign, this still smacks (at least to me) of bad taste.

Here's the ad. See what you think.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • I found it pretty creepy too. Frank Sinatra's ghost shilling a product is one thing - but a dead child just seems to cross a line.

    By Blogger ed cornflake, at 3:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home