The Comm and Gender Spot

Monday, August 29, 2005

My First Day of the Fall Semester

With the completion of my first day of classes, I find myself reflecting on my day. It is definitely a change from my past 5 semesters. I treading into new waters that I have very little experience with. I’d like to share a few random thoughts that I’ve had about today and I hope others can relate to them.

Who schedules a graduate level class at 8am? Today was day 1. I have approximately 30 more days that I will have to attend class at 8am. It is definitely a difficult task for me to not only attend class at this time, but to participate coherently will definitely take a lot of effort.

My 8am class is in the area of media law and policy. This is definitely subject matter that I have virtually no experience with. I’ve taken a class in the School of Law of Indiana University, but nothing has prepared me for this. I only hope that I can be successful with the subject matter.

At 9:30am I had a class that was a bit more familiar to me: a research methods class in audience analysis. While some of the topics are new to me (ratings analysis) this class should work as reinforcement for many of the research measures that I will use in my future career. And any class I take with Dr. Rob Potter is definitely a good class.

Finally, I had the class for which I am the Associate Instructor. I was a bit nervous going in considering I haven’t been an AI in a long time and it is a class that I am not even close to being an expert in. Within the first two minutes of class, however, my fears were gone. Working for Dr. Susan Kelly, a great teacher in the IU Department of Telecommunications, is a big reason for my fears disappearing. This class will be a lot of fun, and I will definitely learn a lot about what it takes to be a good teacher.

Overall, a good day. Lets hope it continues for the next 16 weeks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home