The Comm and Gender Spot

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Spewing Bile to Sell Books

I’ve been chewing over this topic for the past couple of days. I’ve debated with myself whether or not to even give it any space on my blog, but I really feel that I need to write something about it.

Ann Coulter, conservative pundit, this week may what many believe to be very shocking comments about some widows of men who died during the attacks on the World Trade Center on 9-11-2001. In her newest book she states that these women are “self-obsessed” and actually enjoying the notoriety that they have as a result of their husbands’ deaths. She has called these four women “witches” and that they are using their husbands’ deaths for political gain.

I wonder if such a diatribe is really worthy of all the press that it is getting. The statements are heartless, playing on the losses that these women have suffered.

The women are the target of Coulter’s bile due to their support of John Kerry in the 2004 election and their push for the 9/11 Commission’s work. I wonder if she would be responding in the same way if these women were supporting President Bush and his decisions after the attacks on 9/11, or if instead she would be praising them for being true American heroes.

This isn’t the first time Coulter has made outrageous statements strictly to sell a few books and make a few dollars. Journalists, gays, liberals, and numerous other groups have been targeted by Coulter and her hatred.

While I respect her First Amendment right to express her opinions, I do wish she would consider how her hateful remarks actually affect others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home