The Comm and Gender Spot

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Kick in the Face

It’s time to check in again and let you know what I’ve been up to.

I got back this past Sunday from a great trip to Vancouver for the annual conference of the Society for Psychophysiological Research. When I got back I had to prepare for my class, get submissions ready for the upcoming annual conference for the International Communication Association, and today I had some out patient surgery on my ears.

And on top of all that, today was my 33rd birthday!

It’s been a long couple of days, but I thought I should relate an interesting story from my time in Vancouver.

On Saturday a group of us decided to visit Granville Island. It was an interesting area with shops and restaurants. In addition we ran into a street performer.

He was a young juggler who got my attention because he was juggling fire batons. However, I somehow got sucked into the act.

Once I was chosen the juggler asked me where I was from. When I told him Indiana he said he wanted to make me feel more at home. At this point he frisked me like he was a police officer.







The street performer had me and another victim to hold a plank on a metal roll while he leapt onto it. It seems easy enough, but he seemed to be nothing but a big goof with a weird sense of humor.


When he leapt on he decided to lie on the plank. Unfortunately his crotch seemed to be positioned right on top of my hand. It was definitely an odd position for both of us to be in.







Then the performer tried to get up to a standing position on the plank. In doing so he nearly sat on my head….









….and kicked me in the jaw. At this point I was hoping he would fall.

He didn’t fall, though he actually begged for donations at the end. I had never heard such begging from a street performer. I was actually surprised by what he said, and I think it turned a lot of people off.

How do I now go about telling people about my trip to Vancouver when the most interesting part of it was my being kicked in the face by a street juggler?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home