The Comm and Gender Spot

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Ten Years and Still Going

I remember about ten years ago moving to Indiana. The night before leaving I was in a room at the Motel 6 in Rochester, New York having just had the movers leave my apartment with all of my belongings. As I was settling in for bed I turned on the TV and tuned in to Comedy Central. As it turns out I got the opportunity to watch the premiere episode of a pop culture phenomenon not seen before.

I got to watch the premiere of South Park.

I thought the cartoon was crude, both in its language and in its animation. But there was something ultimately funny at its core. I tuned in each and every week during the first season just to see not only what Stan, Kyle and Cartman would get into that week but to also see how Kenny would die. It was often a laugh riot well worth the thirty minutes I’d spend watching it.

Not ever episode was a classic. Some were real clunkers. But when South Park was on, it was hilarious. No group or topic is too taboo. Creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone have taken on Scientology, Mormons, homosexuality, and the 2000 Presidential election among other things. And all were handled with South Park’s usual hilarity.

South Park has also been recognized in the entertainment community, including winning an Emmy and being nominated for an Academy Award for the South Park movie, South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut.

We are now coming up on the show’s 10th season. I encourage all that have not yet given this show a chance and have as much fun as the show’s current loyal viewers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home