The Comm and Gender Spot

Thursday, January 05, 2006

Dancing with the Stars

Just about anyone that knows me, or reads this blog, knows that I am a huge fan of reality television. I particularly enjoy the shows that involve some sort of competition, no matter what the competition is.

I have even surprised myself, though, with my affection for one of the oddest reality shows out there: Dancing with the Stars.

I can’t even describe why I find the show fun. Why would I be interested in a program where I get to see rap mogul Master P do the cha cha, and both WWE wrestler Stacy Keibler and Academy Award winner Tatum O’Neal waltzing?

It’s a strange phenomenon. I ended up being glued to the television last summer as I saw General Hospital’s Kelly Monaco prevail in the first season over Seinfeld alum John O’Hurley. Both C-list celebrities evolved from looking a bit awkward at the beginning of the season to looking elegant and very skillful in their dancing.

And you know you’ve got a hit program when you spawn clones elsewhere on the TV schedule. Dancing with the Stars is no exception. On Wednesday, January 18 FOX will premiere Skating with Celebrities, which pairs six celebrities with professional ice skaters.

While I find myself loving Dancing with the Stars, I doubt that I’ll give Skating with Celebrities a try.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home