The Comm and Gender Spot

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Is it the Movies? Or Maybe I Do Just Like Lists?

Last night I took the time to watch the American Film Institute’s 100 Years…100 Cheers. I’ve actually enjoyed these specials over the last nine years, and waited for this one with great expectations. I think my affinity for them stems from my great enjoyment of movies.

Someone else I know said that it’s also because I really like lists. Who knows if that’s true?

It’s hard to quibble with the films that were voted in the top 10. They truly are inspirational films that tell some great stories. In case you missed the special, here’s the top 10 for you.

1. It’s a Wonderful Life
2. To Kill a Mockingbird
3. Schindler’s List
4. Rocky
5. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
6. E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial
7. The Grapes of Wrath
8. Breaking Away
9. Miracle on 34th Street
10. Saving Private Ryan

Though not all of these films fall onto my list of favorite films (can someone please explain the overall appeal of It’s a Wonderful Life) I must agree that they all have some element of being an inspirational story.

It’s also worthy to note that Steven Spielberg has five films on the list (the most of any director) and Sydney Poitier has the most of any actor (four, I believe). Definitely good choices.

It’s later on in the list that there are entrants that I don’t quite understand. Get through the top 25 and I’m fine, but at 26 is The Wizard of Oz. Definitely a timeless film, but inspirational? Or Star Wars at 39? How about Close Encounters of the Third Kind at 58?

As we go even father down the list of the top 100 there are more films I don’t quite understand being on the list. Driving Miss Daisy at 77, followed by Thelma & Louise at 78? Or Yankee Doodle Dandy at 88?

And what about films that were nominated and didn’t make the list? Films such as Malcolm X, Do the Right Thing, Ali, American History X, or even Superman probably should have had some showing on the list.

Maybe it’s the semblance of minor controversy that attracts me to these lists. I definitely have some fun debating which films should have been on the list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home