The Comm and Gender Spot

Monday, October 29, 2007

I Want My Big Ten Sports


I recently wrote some of my thoughts about the standoff between Comcast and the Big Ten Network about bringing the network to the largest cable provider in the United States.

As a Comcast subscriber I truly feel like I'm missing out on some of the best games the league has to offer, and as a three-time Indiana University graduate I am truly sorry that I haven't been able to watch IU football on TV this season.

I took the time to contact Comcast about the situation, asking if they will ever pick up the network. Here is their response.

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us. We too are fans of Big Ten schools and college sports.

We want to bring The Big Ten Network to you and other fans of Big Ten schools in a way that is fair to all of our customers. We’ve offered to make the network available on our digital sports tier within Big Ten markets (and as a subscription service for customers outside of the Big Ten eight-state region), so that fans of Big Ten schools can watch the games without burdening all of our customers with the Big Ten’s costly fees – which amount to a $13 “Big Ten Tax.” Unfortunately, the Big Ten is insisting that all consumers subsidize the network – whether they want to watch it, or not – and will not allow us to offer it to the fans who want it most like you. That’s just not fair.

On behalf of all of our customers, we will continue to work to reach a fair agreement that would let us begin carrying the network for you this fall.

First, this is obviously a canned response. But I can't expect a personalized response from a big corporation, can I?

But I hope to get one because as soon as I got this response I had to send them another e-mail.

I first don't like the characterization as it being a tax. That is ridiculous. Is part of what I pay every month a CNN tax or an ESPN tax? No, it obviously is not. This is just language used to inflame some subscribers.

But what I really have a problem with is the idea that we are "subsidizing" the Big Ten Network, including those who would be paying for it but not watching it. Don't all cable and satellite subscribers do this? I'm sorry but I don't watch the Style Network, A&E, or the Disney Channel yet I pay for them in my basic cable service. Am I subsidizing them as well?

I think it's time for Comcast to settle this dispute with the Big Ten Network and finally bring the network to their subscribers that want it. Otherwise all they are doing is punishing us.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Don't you think it is time for cable subscribers to pick the channels they will watch from a menu instead of taking a package. There are a bunch of channels we don't watch and some that I would rather had. I think it is time for customized packages.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:01 PM  

  • I want the big ten network on my basic package. There are many channels that I could get along with out. Let us pick our channels.We would like to see the Big ten network and the NFL network on our basic packages.
    leetik@charter.net

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home