The Comm and Gender Spot

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Reality TV

As many people know, and if you don’t know you can tell my looking at my interests in my profile, I am a very big reality TV fan. While I don’t watch each and every reality show (let’s be honest, some are ridiculous-I’m talking to you America’s Next Top Model and Fear Factor) I do watch a wide slate of shows.

People often ask me why I like these programs so much. I just like that we have “real” people put into contrived situations and we get to see how they react. I find that to be riveting, and if it includes plotting or deceit all the better. These shows can definitely show some of the worst sides of people, and who doesn’t want to see that?

You’ll notice that I put the world real in quotes. I know as well as anyone else who is a fan of this genre that for every actual person you have as a contestant you have someone who is a wannabe model or actor trying to break into show-biz by being on the show. Even knowing this, the experience is not diminished for me in any way.

Over the next few weeks I’ll be tuning in to the finales of Big Brother 6 and Rock Star: INXS. And in the coming months you can count on me either watching or TIVO-ing Survivor: Guatemala, The Amazing Race Family Edition, Wife Swap, Dancing With the Stars, Donald Trump’s Apprentice, Martha Stewart’s Apprentice, The Biggest Loser 2, The Surreal Life, The Battle of the Network Reality Stars, My Fair Brady, and come January American Idol.

You have fun your way, I’ll have fun mine!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home