The Comm and Gender Spot

Friday, September 09, 2005

Sleeping Problem


In addition to my many other quirks and oddities, I currently suffer from sleep apnea. I was diagnosed with the condition back in 1999. In essence, I stop breathing multiple times through the night while sleeping; I stop breathing for periods between 10 and 40 seconds. It is a debilitating condition that can cause damage to the heart and can lead to other medical conditions.

I am supposed to sleep while wearing a mask connected to a machine that forces air into my lungs. (I’ve attached a picture of the mask I use, though the picture is not of me.) This machine, called a continuous positive airway pressure machine (or CPAP), can make it very difficult to sleep comfortably. I recently started using the machine with some regularity. Using this machine makes it very difficult for me to sleep soundly. While I may breathe easier, I don’t sleep well because I just can’t get comfortable.

I know it is for my own good. I do not want to have a heart attack at 33 just because I don’t sleep well. I just wish that there was another option at this point to help me live with this disorder.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home