The Comm and Gender Spot

Friday, November 09, 2007

Gratuitous Violence

I've been extremely busy as of late. Between teaching my classes, grading, and interviewing for a job this blog has suffered.

Even today I don't have much time to put together an entry. But there is something that I've been thinking about over the last two days, particularly for my class on sports and media.

What is sports violence, especially violence in a predetermined sport such as professional wrestling, teaching the audience that such programming targets?

In preparing for my class yesterday I came across the clip below on YouTube from a WWE broadcast. What do you think? What kind of impressions or affects do you think it leaves with the legions of young male fans that comprise a large portion of the WWE's audience?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home